Basic Facts about ECOSOC Status
Before your organization decides to apply for consultative status with ECOSOC, please consider the following basic facts.
Basic facts about ECOSOC status
- Currently, 4,507 NGOs enjoy active consultative status with ECOSOC. See list as of 29 December 2016.
- There are three types of consultative status: General, Special and Roster. Most new accreditations are in the Special category.
- Consultative status provides NGOs with access to not only ECOSOC, but also to its many subsidiary bodies, to the various human rights mechanisms of the United Nations, ad-hoc processes on small arms, as well as special events organized by the President of the General Assembly. See News and Events for samples.
- ECOSOC accreditation is separate and distinct from NGOs who are associated the UN Department of Public Information (DPI). See list of DPI-associated NGOs here. See website here.
- You can sort and review all NGOs with ECOSOC consultative status in an online database. Access the database here.
- General and special status NGOs are required to submit a 'quadrennial report' every four years. Learn more.
- The Committee on NGOs reviews new applications for consultative status twice a year, in January ('regular session') and in May ('resumed session').
- The Committee does not decide but recommends. These recommendations, contained in one report for the January session and one report for the May session, are reviewed by ECOSOC in April and July respectively. See past reports here.
- In most cases, ECOSOC decides to approve the recommendations. In very rare cases, it does not.
- The deadline for applications is 1 June of the year before the Committee reviews the application. Therefore the upcoming deadline for new applications is 1 June 2017. The Committee will review those applications in 2018.
Choose an option in the left menu to know more, or to start the application process.
Click here to download our new booklet "Working with ECOSOC - an NGOs Guide to Consultative Status".
Поделись с друзьями
Рекомендуем посмотреть ещё:
Международное сотрудничество в борьбе с преступностью Поделки из дисков для цветов